Lady Bird Lake Sculling Ladder
Celebrate sculling with the Lady Bird Lake Ladder, a 7-month sculling challenge for singles and doubles to score their best time in a head-style 3k race! Formerly the Town Lake Ladder, this is a timed distance race for single and double sculls. The course will be just east of I-35 bridge heading east, around Bird Island and back to I-35.
With this race, we highlight those rowers who dedicate time to the boats requiring the most balance, technique and individual strength. The race will begin and end at the finish line of the 1K race course east of I35.
What's a ladder and how does it work?
- The challenge will run over several months starting in November or December**, where the race times populated the initial ladder.
- Divisions will be men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles and potentially mixed doubles. The ladder results will be posted on the ARC website and in the boathouse.
- Approximately once a month (weather and schedule permitting), there will be an opportunity for a smaller scale race where people can sign up to improve their times.
- A finale event will be held in May or June** with one last race opportunity and closing celebration. Winners will be announced for the best time in each division and most improved in each division.
** Months subject to change year-to-year
Can I participate if I missed one of the Ladder races?
Yes, absolutely! The ladder results are updated after each race. You and your time from the round you join in will just be added into the ladder in the appropriate order (race time fastest to slowest).
What if my new time is slower than my previous time?
- You will keep your fastest time for your place in the ladder
- We will publish the results from the day of the race and then update the ladder for overall ranking.
Is there a skill level requirement?
- All skill levels are welcome! If you are comfortable rowing the distance, you are welcome to sign up. You must choose a boat at the level you have been approved for.
- The ladder is primarily to challenge yourself, have fun and hopefully improve your times over the duration.
Where can I see the latest ladder results?
- The ladder results are available on the ARC website at https://austinrowing.org/sculling-ladder/
- There is also a poster located in the boathouse. Both will be updated after each ladder race