Learn to Row
Ready to try rowing? Austin Rowing Club is the place to be!
There are two types of rowing, sweep and sculling. Sweep rowing is where each rower has one oar. Sweep boats range in size and include, two, four, and eight person boats. Some boats will have a coxswain who is in charge of steering and directing rowers. Sculling is when each rower has two oars (one in each hand). Those boats, or sculls, are for one, two, or four people. You can learn more about rowing and the different types of shells in this video.
Learn to Scull Class
This course will introduce you to sculling (rowing with two oars) in a single. Our class consists of 4 – ninety (90) minute sessions over a two-week timeframe. You will learn how to stay safe on the water, general information about rowing, the basics of the rowing stroke, and how to handle rowing equipment. Participants learn to row in our modern fleet of boats and all equipment is provided. ARC has a professional coaching staff that will teach you the basics of rowing so you can feel confident on the water. From the dock to the lake, our instructors are with you every step of the way. After completing the Learn to Row class, you will be able to join the Austin Rowing Club and start rowing on your own as a level 1 rower!
Attendance at all sessions is very important and 100% attendance is required to become a level 1 rower. Austin Rowing Club does NOT provide refunds for any reason.
Note : Courses are currently limited to 4 rowers.
Learn to Sweep Class
There are currently no Learn to Sweep classes scheduled. We will start these classes again in the fall. Please click below to signup for the waitlist. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Austin Rowing Club offers private lessons for anyone who is interested in learning to scull or improving their current sculling skills. Our private lessons are available for 1 or 2 people in both single lessons or a three lesson package. We can accommodate almost any interest level and would love to teach you about rowing! Private lessons are booked based on matching your availability with coaching availability.
Just like a Learn to Scull class, a package of 3 – ninety (90) minute private lessons will get you ready to become a member of the Austin Rowing Club and start rowing on your own! You will learn how to stay safe on the water, general information about rowing, the basics of the rowing stroke, and how to handle rowing equipment. You will have access to our modern fleet of boats and all equipment is provided. ARC’s professional coaching staff will get to know your goals and work towards them over the course of the three lessons.
If you are unsure of what lesson you want to do, please request a private lesson below and indicate that you would like know more about your options based on your interest and experience.
Where to Park
The Austin Rowing Club does not have parking on site. There are various parking options nearby:
- Mexican American Cultural Center (600 River St)
- Convention Center Parking Garage (201 East 2nd St – with entrances on Brazos St and San Jacinto)
- Metered parking along downtown streets
What You’ll Need to Bring
- Comfortable but tight fitting clothing (cycling shorts or long leggings and athletic tops)
- Loose fitting or baggy clothes may get tangled or caught in rowing equipment
- Wear or bring socks (all boats will have shoes or foot straps in them already)
- We recommend wearing tennis shoes and taking them off before rowing
- In warm and sunny weather, we recommend suncreen, hats, visors, and/or sunglasses
- In cold weather, wear multiple layers and bring a change of clothes
- Bring a non-breakable water bottle (you can refill it at the boat house)
- We also have locker rooms for changing before or after your lesson/class if needed
With any questions, please reach out to our Member Services Manager at email@example.com.