1. What is Austin Rowing Club? Austin Rowing Club (ARC) is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization dedicated to promoting rowing in the Austin community by providing affordable rowing opportunities, excellent coaching, a variety of club programs and by hosting rowing events, including regattas and educational events.
2. I don’t row. How can I get started? Our Introduction to Rowing Class is the best way for people with no experience to get involved in the sport of rowing. Class members receive instruction in both sculling (rowing with two smaller oars, one in each hand) and sweep rowing (rowing with both hands on one larger oar.) People who successfully complete this course can become members and continue learning with our Novice Program or Sculling Clinics. For more information, see the Introduction to Rowing page. Private Lessons for beginners are also available.
3. I am an experienced rower. How do I join? People with previous rowing experience can join ARC at anytime. The coaching staff will evaluate your skill level and give you an introduction to ARC’s procedures, policies, and navigating on Lady Bird Lake. Checkouts are done on Saturday or Sunday mornings at 8:00 a.m., or by appointment with a member of the coaching staff.
4. What are the fees? Membership at the ARC costs only $45 a month and includes unlimited use of ARC facilities and equipment. Click the link on the left to download a membership application with complete rate information. For information on storing a private boat, please contact us.
5. Do you offer rowing for high school students? Yes! The ARC Junior Program offers rowing for students in 6th through 12th grade. Students can join with no prior rowing experience. The team meets weekdays after school and on weekend mornings. PE credit is available for those on our competitive team. We also offer summer camps for high school students. For complete information please see our Junior Program page.
6. What are the programs that are offered? ARC offers programs in both sweep and sculling for recreational and competitive rowers. Members have access to free coaching several times a week, depending on their interests. There are also Competitive Programs for those who wish to compete.
7. What kind of boats does ARC own? ARC owns a variety of sweep and sculling equipment. Each boat is assigned a certain skill level, and rowers must be checked out at that level or higher to use that boat. These checkouts are handled by the ARC coaching staff and take place on weekends at 8am. ARC currently owns 8 eights, 8 quads, 4 coxed fours, 8 pair/doubles and over 25 singles for use by club members. We also have 15 Concept2 ergs for training on land.
8. What if I just want to row for a day or two? We are not set up to rent boats on a walk-up basis. There are other private boat rental vendors on Lady Bird Lake that are better suited to accommodate one time users with boat rentals. ARC does not have canoes, kayaks or other paddling boats, but kayaks and SUP boards are available at Waller Creek Boathouse from Congress Avenue Kayaks. If you are able to plan your row ahead of time, please contact us to arrange a Private Lesson. Private lessons can be scheduled at any time with a member of our coaching staff, and are designed to accommodate the one-day rower, or visitors from out of town.
9. Where is ARC? Where do I park? ARC is located on the north side of Lady Bird Lake, directly behind the Four Seasons Hotel. For more detailed directions and parking information, please see our facilities page.
10. What kind of events does ARC host? Our largest events are the Heart of Texas Regatta(a 1k race in March) and the Head of the Colorado (a 5k race in October). In addition, ARC offers a variety of rowing and social events. On the water there is the monthly Town Lake Ladder, the February Winter Warrior, and the July Firecracker 500. Our junior program hosts the Texas Rowing Championships annually in April. Off the water, members enjoy an annual Holiday Party, 4th of July BBQ, our September Annual Meeting and Dinner, along with informal Happy Hours. As you can see, there is plenty to do if you want to get involved.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.